Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Be Nice

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

—Lao-Tze

I've left a group recently online that I had been a part of since I joined goodreads.  It was for those who enjoyed a common romance genre, but in recent days and perhaps weeks and months before that I've found it contaminated with negativity, judgement and arrogance.  I may be wrong in saying that myself, because I am, in the process judging the group as a whole, because of what I've seen.  I do, however, stand by a statement I make quite often: there are both good and bad individuals everywhere.  For me though, the bad I have seen lately greatly outweighs the good.  Remember when you say things online or you speak badly about someone there is a person on the other side of that avatar that is representing them.  Someone is sitting in front of their computer typing those words and they have a heart and a soul and feelings just like the rest of us.  Be kind whenever possible and before you write something putting down someone else, think of how you would feel if the same thing was written about you. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not in the mood to be nice.

    Milo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not you! I didn't mean you! You be mean, it's your job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post. People should think about the ramifications of their words whether they are spoken or typed. Unfortunately, few seem to do that. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, E! I know, I've found all the cynicism and negativity that seems to be going on lately very disheartening.

    ReplyDelete