Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mich Has Been Thinking

So, I've been thinking. I know. *gasp* Thing is, I've been reading a few psychology and behavioral books lately and I now find myself wondering more and more about society, specifically western society.

I read a book recently titled The Sociopath Next Door and in it the psychologist discussed how the tendency to become a sociopath is merely 50% genetic, at the most. Then the other 50% is what exactly? Learned? It seems more than likely when you look at the fact that eastern countries, where the group as a whole is focused on more, have a lower case of sociopaths than those in the west. What are we doing to ourselves? And when did the focus shift from caring about each other, to caring solely about ourselves, or was it always this way? And I don't mean caring about your best friend or your husband or your child. I mean caring about others simply because they are human, strangers and loved ones alike.

For example, not to rip on my husband, because I do love him and he is a good person, but he's very resistant to helping others sometimes. Partially because he feels they should learn to help themselves, but also because it's not something he feels should be his problem. When we discuss the fact that I help out our elderly neighbors when they need it he seems a bit puzzled as to why I feel the need to help in the first place. He'll say things like, “why can't their kids do it?” or “they can hire someone.” Yet, if one of his friends needs help, he's always the first too offer assistance. We've helped move friends of his on various occasions, loaned money, allowed a few of them to crash on our couch when they needed to. Now, I know the difference is that he has an emotionally attachment to his friends, but shouldn't we all have an emotional attachment to each other simply because we're all people? Am I the only idealistic loon that feels this way?

5 comments:

  1. You are totally an idealistic loon but that is one of the many reasons that I love you!!lol Its kinna painful to admit but I am kinna like your hubs on this!! I find myself saying thoes exact things about people my mum helps out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a help my neighbor perso either. In fact when you told me your story this morning and you said hubs said he'd buy a weed whacker, I almost said, why don't they just hire a gardner. Sigh. Sorry, sweets. I am just not a neighborly sort. It doesn't mean I don't care about others though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ P - LOL! Love you too, P! And see, I'm not the only one, your Mammy does it too! :)

    @ Iv - I know you do care about others and I'm certain if one of your neighbors actually needed help you would help them. Hubs is buying the weed whacker because he can't stand me out there with hedge trimmers trying to get everything the mower missed. I'm wondering now though, what did he think I was using before?

    Btw, you two, I'm never moving in next door to either of you! :D XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweetie, we all have a little "White knight syndrome", and its ok. I have to admit I'd do exactly the same as you, so I guess I have the same symdrome. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness I'm not the only one, Izzie! I'd move in next door to you. *stage whispers* Shhh, don't tell Iv & P

    ReplyDelete