Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mysteries of the Heart

As a few of you know, I don't exactly have the best relationship with my father, Harry.  It's not awful anymore, rather not exactly there.  Quick background story, my mother was diagnosed with cancer when my twin brother and I were 6, she passed away when we were 14, almost 15.  For the last few years of her life my father wasn't around much, always working late or on business trips and when things got bad, I assisted Mom and took care of her as much as I could in between hospice and the nurses.  My father seemed to disappear in his own world more and more, sometimes taking my brother with him and I stayed home with Mom.  I was kind of a Mama's girl, so it was ok. When she passed though, he turned what was a bit of a habit into all out alcoholism.  I don't know if any of you have dealt with alcoholism much, but anger, grief and booze are kind of a recipe for disaster.  I look quite a bit like Mom, so things were worse for me most of the time.  He became abusive.  I understand it now, in a way, or I at least accept the hows and the whys of it.  I'm in counseling and I take anti-depressants for my anxiety, ptsd and depression.  My brother forgot about the four years after she died until we left for college until a few years ago when he began having flashbacks (yeah, really) reading his high school English class 1984 by George Orwell.  It was something we read the year she died, so it makes sense in some ways.  The human mind is odd.  That was three years ago.  He's still in counseling and on anti-depressants as well, but doing much better.  We both are.  So, why this post you may be wondering?  No, I don't normally spout out the more private things in my life, or I didn't use to.  I'm trying to work on that.  It's suppose to be therapeutic, I hear.  Personally, I think a five mile run works better, but it's dark and raining outside, so I'm out of luck there.  A few months ago, Harry went to the doctor and they found that his liver wasn't functioning as it should be.  Partially from the drinking, I'm sure, but they also found Hepatitis C in his blood work when they ran a bunch of labs.  To be honest, I don't know a lot about the disease, but I do know they think he contracted it many many years ago (before they screened blood) when he received a blood transfusion after losing his arm in a car accident.  His doctor suggested an antiviral treatment (I think that's what it is) which he was suppose to begin this month.  I just found out, although I'm not sure when the decision was made, that he will not be starting treatments and is apparently going to go to another doctor to get a second opinion.  When I worked up the nerve to call and inquire about this with Harry, he stated that he'd lived with it this long and it hadn't killed him yet.

I can't exactly explain to you why I'm upset, because I don't know.  I speak to the man, maybe four times a year and see him very infrequently and yet, I'm sad.  Like I said before, the human brain is odd, but I find the human heart to be even more strange.

8 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much our parents can affect us even when we don't want them too. As you know, I went more than 20 years without contact with my mother yet her death nearly literally destroyed me. And for what? Someone who didn't care foor me at all.

    With Harry, no matter what, you can't get past that he's your father and there are feelings there. It doesn't go away. Hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. *pushes Iv* Ah geez, Ivie, you made me cry! I'm such a sap! That's it exactly.

    You know I adore you, right? But your Mom? Lord, I wish I could have smacked some sense into that woman.

    We did learn from them though, in some way, however twisted that may be. I know I'll never treat my daughter the way I was treated, not for any reason. She's my heart and she will damn well grow up knowing it.

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And so good has come out of it, right? Look, we can't but wish our parents were the way we're told parents are supposed to be. It's great when they are that way, but for our experiences, they don't always work that way. But you can't take away that parental thing that easily. They are supposed to love you above all others and when they don't...well, it hurts. We're human and humans have feelings.

    And Nora will have a richer life for the love you give her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hon, I think that when it comes to certain relationships, especially the child/parent relationships, we sometimes mourn what could have been. I've had a therapeutic post or two about my own parents. They were by no means perfect. Hearing a parent is ill brings up all those "could have beens" and "what ifs." What you are feeling is perfectly understandable. Ivan is right. Nora is blessed to have a mom who can still find some emotion for a man who let her down when she needed him the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *hugs E & Iv* Thank you both so much for your kind words.

    P - glad you're here, sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you had to go through all this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Isaac. Thanks, I'm all right now. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that. :)

    ReplyDelete